Working with Web Pages in Microsoft Expression Web
Posted by: Minal Agarwal
in Category Expression Web
Abstract: Creating web pages does not complete your work. You may need to perform some more tasks on these pages, like to save them, open them for editing, renaming or changing the title of the pages or even deleting the pages. This article will cover all such tasks.
Working with Web Pages in Microsoft Expression Web
Creating web pages does not complete your work. You may need to perform some more tasks on these pages, like to save them, open them for editing, renaming or changing the title of the page or even deleting the pages. Let’s take a look at all such tasks one by one.
The procedure for saving a web page is as follows:
1. Go to File > Save, or choose Save from the standard toolbar or key in the shortcut Ctrl + S or right click on the page’s tab and select Save from the drop down menu displayed.
2. If this is the first page that you are saving to your website then, the 'Save As' dialog box appears and Expression Web automatically names the file as ‘default’, making it the website’s homepage. If you want to give the file a different name then type the same in the File name field and click on Save to save.
3. Expression Web automatically titles the page as ‘Untitled 1’ if it is the first page, ‘Untitled 2’ if it’s the second page and so on. If you want to go ahead with the default title then click on Save. If you want to give a different title to your page then, click on Change Title button. This will pop up the Set Page Title dialog box, type in the Page Title and click on OK as shown in the following figure.
4. As you click on OK the Save As dialog box displays your title. Click Save to apply changes and close.
5. Now the new name appears in the Folder List.
NOTE: The page name is the file name that is displayed everywhere in the directory whereas the page title is displayed in the browser’s title bar.
Opening a Web page
To open a web page follow either of these steps:
If you want to open a web page from the current open site then, in the Folder list pane double click on the particular web page.
If you intend to open a web page from another website then, go to File menu, choose Open and then using the dialog box to browse to the web page to open it. Else use the Open button on the standard toolbar to do the same function.
Renaming a Web page
Renaming a web page is a very simple task. You have two ways to execute this.
One way is to click on the web page in the Folder List pane, when the file is selected wait for two seconds and click again to select its name. Once you find the file name selected, and the cursor blinking at the end of it, type in the new name and press Enter.
The other way is to right click on the file or page you want to rename in the Folder List pane and choose 'Rename' from the menu. This will select the whole file name and the cursor will blink to suggest that the file can be renamed now.
Changing the Web page Title
We have already seen how to change the title while saving the page, in the ‘Saving a Web page’ heading of this article. But how do we change the title of the page if it is already saved? The answer is given below.
1. Right click on the web page in the Folder List pane and choose Properties from the menu.
2. In the General tab of the Properties window you will find the old title. Replace it with the new title and click OK to apply the change and close the dialog box.
Deleting a Web page
There are two ways with which you can delete a web page. They are explained below:
1. Select the web page to be deleted in the Folder List pane and hit the Delete key on your keyboard. A warning will be displayed to Confirm Delete as given in the following figure.
2. The other way is to right click on the web page in the Folder List pane and choose Delete from the drop down menu.
The Confirm Delete dialog box as mentioned above is displayed to confirm deletion of the page. Once you click on OK the page will be deleted.
CAUTION: There is no Recycle bin for Expression Web. Hence pages deleted from your website will be deleted permanently and would not be recovered. So take care while deleting pages from websites.
It is always recommended to use Expression web rather than using the Windows Explorer for performing any of the actions that you have read in this article. This is to avoid any breakage of any links among your web pages. I assure you this article would help you manage your web pages in the recommended way.
This article has been editorially reviewed by Suprotim Agarwal.
C# and .NET have been around for a very long time, but their constant growth means there’s always more to learn.
We at DotNetCurry are very excited to announce the The Absolutely Awesome Book on C# and .NET. This is a 500 pages concise technical eBook available in PDF, ePub (iPad), and Mobi (Kindle).
Organized around concepts, this eBook aims to provide a concise, yet solid foundation in C# and .NET, covering C# 6.0, C# 7.0 and .NET Core, with chapters on .NET Standard and the upcoming C# 8.0 too. Use these concepts to deepen your existing knowledge of C# and .NET, to have a solid grasp of the latest in C# and .NET OR to crack your next .NET Interview.
Click here to Explore the Table of Contents or Download Sample Chapters!